BUILDING SERVICES NOTICE
COVID-19 State of Emergency Response – 2021-01-15
The Ontario government declared a second, provincial state of emergency in response to COVID-19 under the Emergency Management and Civic Protection Act. The declaration of emergency automatically terminates 14 days after being made – and can be extended.
During the current Covid-19 pandemic our office will be closed to the general public. We are still accepting completed applications and answering email and phone inquiries. When leaving a message for the Building Department, please include your name and phone number.In the entryway of our office, we have a drop off area for completed applications which should include two sets of plans and approvals from other applicable law (i.e., septic approvals) that apply to your submission. We also have a metal box with a lock to submit your permit fee required upon submission of a completed building permit application. At this time, we are only accepting cheques which must be made payable to Joint Building Committee.
Under this state of emergency, effective January 14, 2021 construction projects will be halted except those that are deemed essential which include:
- Construction projects associated with the healthcare sector and long-term care homes.
- Those ensuring safe and reliable operations (transit, transportation, energy mining).
- Construction projects that provide new capacity in schools, colleges, universities, municipal infrastructure and child care.
- Construction of projects under the Investing in Canada Infrastructure Program.
- Projects and services that support the operations of broadband internet and cellular technologies.
- Residential construction projects where (permits have been issued before January 14, 2021),
- a building permit has been granted for single family, semi-detached and townhomes (including accessory buildings)
- the project is a condominium, mixed use or other residential building, or
- the project involves renovations to residential properties and construction work was started before January 12, 2021.
- affordable housing, or
- shelter or supports for vulnerable persons
- Construction on any project intended to provide either,
The Joint Building Committee Building Department will continue to review and issue any building permits. Under the provincial mandate, construction cannot be started for permits that have been issued after January 13, 2021 unless the project falls within the essential list above.
Required inspections that do continue to meet the Province’s essential list will continue to be conducted, subject to COVID-19 safe work practices.
Please note that the above noted conditions do not exempt an individual from rectifying an unsafe condition during this time. Should a municipality place an order on a property, it is the responsibility of the property owner to remedy the situation within the timelines and requirements of the municipality. It will be at the municipality’s discretion to determine if a permit is available for the work to be carried out during this time.
Building Services staff are not responsible for confirming what workplaces are essential and communicating only what inspections we are able to complete. The restrictions have been put in place through the Provincial government through O.Reg 82/20 Reopening Ontario (A Flexible Response to COVID-19).
As with everything, these directions are subject to changed based on further direction from the Province of Ontario/Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing and/or the OBOA.
Should you have any questions please contact me for more information.
Brian Dumas, CBCO
Manager of Building Services/Chief Building Official
Joint Building Committee
705-384-9444 ext. 1
Position Opening: CEO Librarian
Applications open for the position of CEO (Permanent part-time position)
Zoning Bylaw Amendment 132 Broadway St.
132 Broadway St ZBA
Citizen Board Members & New Appointments to Boards
New appointments are now required for the South River Machar Library Board and the South River/Machar Medical Centre Board
Job Opportunity Public Works Operator
Public Works Operator - Full time